This is a great exercise to get you above the bar. With the right technique, you can perform this move at the lower belt levels (yellow/orange).
- Belt Level(s)Orange Belt Green Belt Blue Belt Purple Belt Brown Belt Black Belt
- Muscle GroupsArms , Back , Core , Lats , Quadriceps
Bar pullovers Guide
This move requires coordination and timing. The purpose is to get your body above the bar using your lower body as a counterweight. In order to do so, you need to be able to get your hips above and around the bar.
- Hanging from a bar, pull up halfway
- Once in position, make an “L” shape with your legs and body, and pull your hips up to the bar while maintaining the L shape with your legs and remaining in the halfway-up pull up position
- At this point, your legs should be over and around the bar, continue pulling up with your arms and let your legs continue going around the bar
- From here you should be able to rotate around the bar on your belly, pull your torso up into a front support position
- Grasp the bar firmly and lower yourself with control
- Repeat for the required number of reps or attempts
- Use the momentum you create when you create the “L” shape with your legs to carry you over the top of the bar
- Try to get the area right below your belly button to touch the bar
- Make sure your legs go above and around the bar, this will help you rotate on top of the bar