Handstand push ups
A goal for many, difficult to achieve. But once you get your first handstand push up, you will not stop showing off to your family and friends!
In the Body Dojo we will learn the proper and safe way to perform a handstand push up. You will see others performing this movement bringing their head “between” their hands, but in order to do this their elbows must flare out. Over time this will lead to shoulder injury.
The proper calisthenics push up brings your head forward of your hands, with your elbows bending towards the front of your body, not out to the sides. You will challenge your balance and core, leading to greater overall strength.
- Belt Level(s)Purple Belt Brown Belt Black Belt
- Muscle GroupsAbdominals , Fingers , Front Deltoids , Rear Deltoids , Scapular muscles , Shoulders , Triceps , Wrists
Handstand push ups Guide
- Get into a handstand using your favorite method
- Tighten your core
- Lower your head towards the ground in front of your hands, keeping your elbows pointed backwards
- Push back up to the starting position
- Repeat for reps
- If you lose your balance, kick back up into a handstand and continue
- Focus on keeping your legs elevated, dropping your body will make it much harder to balance
- DO NOT perform the push up with your elbows flared out to the side, this will eventually lead to shoulder impingement