Elevated Split Squats
AKA “Romanian lunges” or “Bulgarian Squat” or “Bulgarian Split Squat”.
The Elevated Split Squats are a great exercise to increase the load on your quadriceps and hamstrings. In addition, you will improve your balance and postural control with the positioning of your elevated and planted foot.
- Belt Level(s)White Belt Yellow Belt Orange Belt Green Belt Blue Belt Purple Belt Brown Belt Black Belt
- Muscle GroupsHamstrings , Quadriceps
Elevated Split Squats Guide
- Find a stable surface about knee height such as a bench, chair, or ledge
- Position your feet approximately one arms length away from the elevated surface, face away from the surface
- Place one foot on the surface behind you onto the surface and find your balance
- Make sure your hips are square with the surface behind you
- Bend both legs, driving your back knee towards the ground
- Move with control, keep your hands out in front of you for balance
- Straighten your legs back to the starting position. This is 1 rep
- Repeat for the instructed number of reps, make sure to train both legs.
- Focus on engaging your core muscles throughout the exercise to stabilize your spine and trunk.